Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Idol Nation


            2010 will go down as the Summer of American Idol for me.     As the season of sunshine was winding down, I experienced not one, not two, but THREE concerts given by Idol Alumni.
            The first concert was a birthday gift from my neighbors Brad and Kim Anderson.   Thanks to a contest hosted by radio station 102.5, I was treated to a prime rib sandwich lunch and a mini-concert by Kris Allen at Fleming’s Steak House in Des Moines.   Kris was the winner of Idol’s 8th season, defeating my personal favorite Adam Lambert. Kris was much shorter in person than he looked on TV.
            Only about 40 people were invited to this nifty event, so it felt very exclusive.  We dined and then Kris took the stage and sang about 5 songs, chatting with the audience in between.  He told a very funny story about how he was in the men’s room and heard his own song on the radio.  He said he didn’t sing along because that would have been “just weird.”    We then had our photos taken with the singer and were given an autographed photo.
            I was probably most impressed that Season 9 finalist and West Des Moines native Katelyn Epperly was sitting at the very next table.   I couldn’t keep myself from pointing and staring.  My lack of coolness concerning anything Idol continues to amaze even me.
            Just a week later, I sat in 8th row seats at the Season 9 Idol concert at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines with my fine arts friend Lindey and my daughter Josie.  Coincidently, I won two additional tickets to this concert from the same radio station, 102.5.  Because of this we were able to take neighbors Kim and Cameron with us as well.  This was a full concert, lasting over two hours, and very high energy.
            My favorite Idol from that season was Casey James, who is GORGEOUS.  He might have sang as well, I don’t know—I couldn’t hear a thing over the thumping of my heart!  Probably the best performer of the group of ten Idols was 2nd place winner Crystal Bowersocks, who was amazing.    It seems to me like the second place winner is always a little bit better and more successful than the actual Idol.  Clay Aiken, for instance, is experiencing more success than the winner of Season 2 Ruben Studdard. 
            Katleyn Epperly didn’t perform at the concert because she didn’t finish in the top ten. At first I thought this had to be hard on the Iowa native, but then I read some of her interview.  Methinks this little girl has a major attitude.
            Lindey and I spent the concert on our feet; we were unable to drag Kim away from her new Blackberry, and Josie and Cameron fluctuated between rocking out and sitting there sulking, like typical pre-teens.  All-in-all, a fantastic evening was had by all.
            My final Idol concert was 8 days later when Lindey and I once again ventured out to see Adam Lambert (the guy that finished 2nd to Kris Allen) give an outdoor concert in Des Moines. It was supposed to be at the Simon Estes Amphitheatre, but was moved to a downtown bridge due to flooding.  Adam remarked that it was the first time he had ever performed on a bridge.  4th place finisher Alison Iraheta was the opening act for glam rocker Lambert.  Man, that girl can wail!
            The crowd was almost more fun to watch than the concert.  It reminded me of my concert heyday in the 80’s when I’d whip out the zebra mini-skirt and the red high heels to go see the Kinks.   Much of the crowd was all dressed up in leather, velvet, platform boots, even feathers.  I felt like a middle-aged nerd wearing my jeans and tennies.  Actually, there were basically two kinds of people in the audience: super flamboyant young, obviously gay people and middle-aged women.   Adam draws an odd crowd.  I seriously didn't think there were that many openly homosexual people in Iowa.  I said this to Lindey and she pointed out that I basically live in the middle of a corn field and naturally wouldn't see that many drag queens.
           Speaking of drag queens, Lindey and I were checking out a gorgeous person with Pink-esque blonde hair and dramatic makeup, wearing a leather bra and mini  skirt, fishnet hose, and thigh-high boots.  We both remarked that we were jealous of this girl's "out-there" good looks--then the girl turned around it--and, yeah--you guessed it--it was a guy.  It just doesn't seem fair when a man is prettier than you are!
            Once again, Katelyn Epperly was at the concert and once again, I pointed and stared.  I’m nothing, if not consistent.  Towards the end of the music, the Iowa Cubs set off fireworks.  Adam laughed and said, “Of course the fireworks go off during my quietest song!”  The rest of the concert was high energy, with back-up dancers and lots of costume changes.   This concert was VERY different than the other Idol events—but, then again, Adam Lambert is not your typical, All-American Idol.   If you have no idea what I am talking about, Google him and you’ll see right away.
            Fall has officially arrived and I am eagerly awaiting Season 10 of Idol this winter.  In the meantime, Bristol Palin and Kurt Warner are both on Dancing with the Stars.    That should be good for a laugh or two until Idol starts up again and I pick a new singer to be my favorite.  I’m hoping American Idol stays popular for a long, long time.  If not for Idol, my concert-going would be limited to junior high band gigs, and although they are very fun, no one wears a purple top hat decorated with an ostrich feather and, geesh, what’s a concert without a little glam??

1 comment: