Monday, May 9, 2011

Cody's letter to the editor


To the Editor: 

I want to tell you how Lisa Coder has changed my life.   I have always had a deep interest in music and want to make it my career.  I have not only participated in music at school, but also attend Dorion music camp in the summer, am part of my own ‘garage band’ and occasionally play at my church.

I also realize that I am not the easiest kid to work with.  Let’s just say I occasionally have a temper and can be a huge pain.   When Mrs. Coder approached me about auditioning for the musical, I was skeptical.  I have little vocal training and have been told by other music teachers that I am hard to work with.    I overcame my fear and was given a role in the fall musical.  I learned a lot and had a great time—and the musical was fantastic as well.

It was this great experience that made me decide to join vocal second semester.  And I was not the only one:  in the two years Mrs. Coder has been at Southeast Webster-Grand, the choir has doubled in size and currently has 68 students involved. That is more students in vocal than in any sport and quite possibly in all the sports put together.    She is not only supportive of students, but also very knowledgeable in music.  If my dream of becoming a professional musician ever comes true, Mrs. Lisa Coder will be one of the major reasons.

If the school board does not find a way to keep Mrs. Coder and not eliminate her position, there is a very good chance I will not take a music class my senior year in high school. I urge the board to please try to find a way to save this excellent teacher.  I am evidence of how an amazing teacher can take a troubled student and turn them into a dedicated singer.   

Sincerely,


Cody Breitsprecher

No comments:

Post a Comment