Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Reflections on Josie’s Confirmation



          

My daughter gets confirmed this weekend.  On Pentecost Sunday, family and friends will gather at Emanuel Lutheran Church to watch this major rite of passage. I am very proud.   Leading the ceremony will be intern Kevin Baker.  Kevin is spending at year in Dayton “on loan” from the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago. 
            Ever since Emanuel moved away from having a full-time pastor, we have been blessed to have several interns who assumed the pastoral role for a year.  All have been excellent.  Cody’s confirmation took three years and he was fortunate to work with two interns (Matt and Adam) and one youth leader (Jake) during his journey.  
            Josie’s confirmation process has been truncated. Jo and her friend Cameron completed their “fast track” confirmation in one short year, entirely under the supervision of Kevin.    It has been a great experience for her and I hope a good one for Kevin as well.
            If Emanuel votes to leave the ELCA, one important loss will be that of the availability of interns such as Kevin.  Quite simply, the ELCA isn’t going to send us interns if we aren’t a part of the ELCA.   This, naturally, leads me to worry about my son Patrick’s confirmation process, that is due to start in a little over a year.   The wonderful gifts we have received from the various interns and their families is only one of many reasons I hope my church decides to stick it out with the ELCA.
            I could go into some of the other reasons, but I think it would be a waste of ink.  It appears to me that both sides have made up their minds and the battle lines are clearly drawn.    So I will just say THANK YOU to our Emanuel Lutheran family for all the wonderful gifts you have shared with the Breitsprechers.  A special thank you goes out to the four interns who have been there not only for confirmations, but also after accidents offering comfort and wisdom, during joyful times sharing in the celebration, and at high Church holidays, leading the congregation in worship and praise. It has been a privilege.
My family will all be sitting in the pews Sunday, wearing red to symbolize Pentecost Sunday.  Josie will even be wearing a dress!  It is my great hope that three years from now, we will all be going to a similar ceremony for Patrick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment